Support after the North Canterbury Earthquake
Get the latest health information and updates on the Canterbury DHB website.
Visit the All Right? website for practical tips and advice on coping with a disaster.
Call the Earthquake Support Line on 0800 777 846 if you need support, advice or just someone to talk to.
Public health information for residents of Hurunui and Kaikoura
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitiser after toileting, and before and after eating or preparing food. You can get more hand sanitiser from the Kaikoura Health Centre.
- Boil or treat all water from taps and tankers before drinking, brushing teeth or using in food preparation. Treat your water by adding 1/4 teaspoon of household bleach per 2 litres of water and leave for 2 hours before using.
- Call your GP or Healthline (0800 6111 116) if you require medical attention. Call 111 if it’s an emergency.
- Stay at home if you have any diarrhoea, vomiting or fever, and contact your GP immediately. Limit contact with other people, do not go to work and do not prepare food for anyone. A healthy person can also go to Kaikoura Health for advice and any supplies you may need.
- Check on your neighbours and look after yourself and your family/whānau. Connecting with people, helping others, giving your time and physical activity are all proven to boost your wellbeing.
Welcome to Healthy Christchurch
Healthy Christchurch is a CDHB-led intersectoral collaborative partnership based on the WHO Healthy Cities model.
The key idea is that all sectors and groups have a role to play in creating a healthy city, whether their specific focus is recreation, employment, youth, environmental enhancement, transport, housing or any other aspect of city life.
This intersectoral initiative aims at foster collaboration between organisations who have signed The Healthy Christchurch Charter.
Read the Healthy Christchurch Charter.
There are currently over 200 Charter Signatories, ranging from government agencies, businesses, voluntary sector groups, networks and residents associations. The specialist focus of the signatories ranges from children's welfare to sport, from the arts to literacy.